Friday 15 April 2011

Local politics is hard on the feet!

Voice croaking, feet throbbing, muscles aching, recognise the symptoms?

Well its not flu if that's what you are thinking, it's the penalty of running for election. Days spent delivering election literature to 4000 plus houses, evenings spent talking to people on their doorsteps about the challenges ahead, what our plans for the future are, how is this or that was allowed to happen etc etc.



Not that I'm complaining mind you, this is grass roots politics, the real stuff, meeting real people, discussing their problems, and persuading them that I'm their man. I relish election campaigns, yes it is very hard work, you need good shoes, boundless enthusiasm and real resolve to get through it. We will spend the best part of six weeks campaigning and all that after months of preparation, but it must be done.

It is always difficult to quantify the impact that you have during the campaign, some people have no desire to talk to you, many have already made up their mind,  for and against and nothing I say will alter that. But there are a significant group of people who want to talk to you, have views and issues that they want to discuss, and who will make up their mind as a result of that short face to face meeting.

I've already received a number of e-mails from people who have read my literature, and who I've talked to on the doorstep who have told me that they will vote for me in this election, and in some cases will be voting conservative for the first time in their life. I'm extremely heartened by responses like that and I have to say the reception that I've been given has been very positive so far. There is a long way to go, and many roads to cross before May 5th, so there will be no counting chickens for me.

The main debating points so far seem to be, public sector cuts, many saying its about time the public sector was trimmed back, others saying there should be more and deeper cuts, while those employed by the public sector are worried about their future. The frozen council tax is a big plus, as are recycling and the investement into Shepton's town centre. Many people have noticed how the high street is improving and undesrstand that this is a long term project that must be protected.

The next three weeks will be very interesting. We will have to see how the debate progresses, so beware, I will be in a street near you very soon, so if you want a chat let me know and I'll be happy to oblige.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, I'm happy to publish anything that is not obscene or libelous, however I do not, as a matter of principle publish anonymous comments. I put my name to everything in this blog, if you want to be taken seriously, put your name to your comments!